Thrifty Book Finds


Over the weekend I had the opportunity to make a day trip with some of the girls in my book club to a huge used bookstore in Tennessee called Mckay Books. The prices vary so you have to make sure to find the best deals. I absolutely love the selection of classic novels. There is also a bargain section where I found two of my selections, The Easter Parade and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time for $1 and $.75 respectively. So of course I had to feed my book buying addiction when I went, and these are what I left with, although I had many more which I had to force myself to put back.

Some of these selections were chosen based on great book reviews from other bloggers. What would I do without all the great recommendations? Well, other than have a much smaller TBR pile. :-)

- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon - I'd been eying this one for years in various bookstores, but never picked it up for some reason. When I saw this copy was only $.75 I thought 'Why not?' Plus, Brenna at Literary Musings included it in her Top Ten Beach Reads, so I figured this would be a great time to read it.

-The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer - Longlisted for the Orange Prize, this is Orringer's first novel. This is one of the few selections that I was interested in that is easily available in the US. It's a long one at 600+ pages, but it sounds like such an epic and sweeping tale of family and love. 

-The Easter Parade by Richard Yates - I've never read Yates' most famous novel Revolutionary Road, but after reading Diane at Bibliophile by the Sea's review of a few of his other works, including this one, I knew I had to add it to my pile. 

-The Irresistible Henry House by Lisa Grunwald - A member of my book club mentioned this title as a potential pick a few months back. It wasn't chosen, but the book sounded so interesting I added it to my list. NPR's All Things Considered featured an interview with the author that I highly recommend. Such an intriguing and controversial topic.

-At Home by Bill Bryson - My first Bryson was the ever-popular A Walk in the Woods, which I read earlier this year. While the story wasn't the greatest, I really enjoyed his writing style and wanted to give one of his other works a chance. What better book to pick than one that details the history of the house?

Well, those are my most recent thrifty book finds. What have been some of yours?

Comments

  1. Oh, what a great selection! I am particularly fond of At Home and want to get the chance to add that one to my collection as well. It looks great, as do all the others you've picked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice haul! I've been meaning to read some Bryson but haven't picked anything up yet. Also, thanks for the link love :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a good thrifty book. I go wild in used bookstores!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Used bookstores are my kryptonite. You got some great books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenna, Hope you love the Easter Parade as much as me. I want to read ALL of your new books. Love Bryson.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun! I'm reviewing The Irresistible Henry House in August -- it looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great deals :)
    I read The Curious Incident a while ago and remember liking it; the others I have not read.
    Hope you enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You found some fantastic deals! I've heard great things about The Invisible Bridge and The Irresistible Henry House. I hope you love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun! I don't get to enjoy thrifty books much anymore as I prefer to read on my Kindle, but you found some good ones! I really enjoyed The Invisible Bridge and plan to read Henry House soon. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds! I absolutely love used book stores :) Curious Incident and At Home are fabulous books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just had a little look around your blog - it seems we have a similar taste in books.

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular